The building was raised between 1890-1892 by architect Ion Mincu, being one of the best portrayals of the modern time scholar edifice, which takes into account the necessity to logically group spaces by functions, by the effectiveness of movement, the contact with the exterior and the adequacy to the feelings and needs of the pupils.
The Central girls’ School was introduces through mister’s Barbu Stirbei 1851 resolution, which provided that a Girls’ Court Pension”, whose courses would being in the same year, would be built in Bucharest. “The damsel pension” was aimed at the daughters of dignitaries who excelled in public service and to whom, as an acknowledgement, the state granted their education for free. In order to finance it, the sums coming from converting the testamentary directive of Alexandru Scarlat Ghica were partly used, who decided that the land of the St. Spiridon – “New” Church would provide for nine poor girls, and though the law in 1847, Gheorghe Bibescu demands that the Church Vestry grants an annual sum of money. Through the Education Law in 1864, the school becomes secondary, with 5 grades, being named “The Central School for girls in Bucharest”, and in 1883, the “Pedagogical Institute”. During the First World War, it is used as a Romanian hospital, then as a German military hospital and after 1918 as a French hospital.
Reopened in 1920, the school is given the name of “Marica Brancoveanu”, the wife of ruler Constantin Brancoveanu, then it becomme Girls’ high school with a similar schedule with the boys’ high schools. After 1948 the school will be named the “Zoia Kosmodemianskaia” High School for more than three decades (executed by Nazis at the age of 18, she was the first woman to receive the highest honor, Hero of the Soviet Union, in 1942).
The lands where the building was raised belonged to the family of writer Alexandru I. Odobescu, from whom the state bought them before 1889. The project of the current building, dating from 1887, is considered a manifest, as architect Ion Mincu looked to graft the elements of the national architecture against classical compositions. The building’s main point of interest is the interior yard, surrounded by a gallery of archways that rest on the columns, recalling, at the same time, the monastic yards. Next to the main body, the plan encloses a branching to the Garden of the Holy Icon, where there is a house that is decorated on the outside with the same ceramic as the school, built in 1894, destined as place to stay for the headmistress. Writer Barbu Stefanescu-Delavrancea lived in this house. In 1942 a celebration hall with 600 seats was built for the Central School for girls, and it was projected by architect Horia Creanga, initially connected to the central body through a hallway. Then used as a movie hall, after the war it becomes the Studio Hall of the “Bulandra” Theater. The school is repaired and consolidated after the earthquake in 1977, and it is undergoing renovations since 2009.
The Central School remained one of the best pieces of work of Ion Mincu and it is an important point of reference in Bucharest’s architecture.
sursa: Dictionarul Monumentelor si Locurilor Celebre din Bucuresti